Hardwood flooring is a timeless choice that brings warmth and character to any home. When exploring hardwood options, understanding the grading system becomes essential. This system helps you evaluate the quality and appearance of the wood, guiding you toward the perfect flooring for your space. Let’s briefly discuss the hardwood grading system and go over the fascinating allure of rustic grade hardwood flooring.
Decoding Hardwood Grading
Hardwood grading involves the assessment and classification of wood based on various characteristics, including color, grain pattern, and the presence of knots or other natural features. Each grade reflects a different level of quality and aesthetic, allowing consumers to make informed choices that suit their preferences.
- Select grade strikes a balance between quality and natural variations.
- It may include small, tight knots and minimal color differences.
- Offers a clean and consistent look suitable for various interior styles.
Number One Common Grade
- Minor grain patterns and knots.
- Has various board lengths.
- Closer to select grade, but with a little more personality.
Number Two Common Grade
- Showcases more significant grain patterns and knots.
- Reserved mainly for non-wide planks.
- Closer to rustic grade but with a slightly cleaner aesthetic.
Rustic Grade Hardwood: A Closer Look
Rustic grade hardwood stands out as a distinct category. It embraces the natural character of wood, showcasing its imperfections proudly. Here’s why rustic grade hardwood is gaining popularity among homeowners:
Authenticity and Character
- Rustic grade hardwood is celebrated for its authenticity and the character it adds to a space.
- Knots, mineral streaks, and color variations create a unique and personalized look that tells the story of the wood.
Warmth and Coziness
- The natural imperfections in rustic grade hardwood contribute to a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- It’s an excellent choice for creating a cozy, lived-in feel, particularly in areas like bedrooms, living rooms, and cabins.
Versatility in Design
- While rustic grade hardwood is often associated with a more traditional or country aesthetic, it can be surprisingly versatile.
- It complements various design styles, adding character to modern, farmhouse, or eclectic interiors.
Hiding Wear and Tear
- The inherent character of rustic grade hardwood makes it adept at hiding small scratches, dents, and other signs of wear.
- This quality makes it an excellent choice for families or spaces with high foot traffic.
Hardwood Flooring from Jason Brown Wood Floors
At Jason Brown Wood Floors, our commitment to quality installation is clear in all that we do, which is why our customers consistently rate us as one of the top contractors in the region. We have been awarded Baltimore Magazine’s Best of Baltimore Award 4 times and have been proudly serving the Baltimore Area for over 18 years. If you’re ready to speak with someone about your hardwood flooring project, we want to hear from you! Contact us at 410-668-9131 or send us a message here.
Jason Brown Wood Floors is also your convenient dealer of high-quality, professional-grade power tools. We offer brands that tradespeople trust most for the job. Come check out our Abingdon showroom to browse the in-stock selection of products and tools by Festool, Freud, Diablo, Shaper, Mirka, Makita, Saw Stop, and Grex.